Many wedding and portrait photographers label themselves as ‘natural light’ shooters and indeed that is how Kate positioned herself when she didn’t understand the benefits of flash or how to shoot it so that you can’t obviously see it in the finished images. Being booked for her first truly ‘winter wedding’ forced me to gain knowledge in the use of on-camera speed lights. From that point on she has never gone on a shoot without one – whether on a sunny summer or overcast winter’s day – speed lights are truly ‘essential kit’. This is not a portfolio building course – instead it is all about knowledge building. You will leave the flash workshop with a new confidence in how and when to use your speed light and an understanding of its vital role in your kit bag.
PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOP CONTENT:
- Principles of flash: an introduction to how modern speed lights work in conjunction with your DSLR or mirrorless camera. All brands welcome!
- Sync speed: learn to understand the effect that your shutter speed has on flash. And the difference between mechanical and electronic shutters and the impact on flash.
- Shutter speed: learn how to not kill the beauty of ambient light when using flash.
- Aperture: controlling the amount of flash in the scene.
- Flash Exposure Compensation: learn how to control the subtlety of your flash exposure.
- Colour Temperature: learn how to match your flash to the ambient light
- On Camera Fill Flash: you will be trained in how to improve poor light (indoors and outdoors) and how to shoot individuals, couples and groups outdoors in full sun.
- Intro to Off Camera Flash: we will help you understand the benefits of considering mastering off-camera flash too but send you home fully confident to use your speed lights on camera for starters!
CAMERA JABBER REVIEW OF THIS WORKSHOP (5 stars)
Read the review here
Reviewer – Angela Nicholson